Pages

Monday 14 January 2013

Behind Doing it for the Kids

Mining town girl turned city career woman…now mother of two in downtown Brisbane, Queensland. Hayley is the name. Hayley Oliver. Remember it, because I want to be big one day. Not big as in grown up, ‘big’ as in famous.

Health drives me, and if I remember correctly it always has. Born highly intolerant to dairy, I remember plenty of not so pleasant stories post ice cream, chocolate and cream in my life.

At the age of 18 I was in hospital with an extreme Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) attack and a prolapsed disc in my back. Best medicine? Stripping the diet to work out what the body didn’t like. Dairy. Gluten. Preservatives. Additives. And whatever it pleases on the day. (Note: Always listen to your body).  My two children are very much the same when it comes to their bodies tolerating the above mentioned foods.  Simple.  Cut.it.out.

The body fascinates me. I often wonder why I kept putting off entering the health field. Doctor. No. Too many years of study and do they ever really fix the cause? Nurse. Definitely not. I have children to look after now. That’s enough! Naturopath. Love their holistic approach to the body. Love them a lot. But too many people kept asking ‘what does a naturopath do’. Really? Nutrition. Let’s start with that!

After attempts at Legal Secretary, PA, Cadet Journalist, Sales Consultant, Retail, Account Manager, Client Services Manager (Radio) and Pilates Instructor over 10 years, I threw it all in for the best job a woman could ever have, being a mum.  Ding, perfect opportunity to begin the dream...working with children and families in nutrition. Cue - start studying Hayley. (I do wish I was a student sponge learning on campus every day, but at the age of 3 and 1 my beautiful children are the ones who sponge me up more than the textbooks at the current time).

A long lived dream and passion has finally come into fruition with Doing it for the Kids, a Facebook page to start getting more families on the right track with their health and eating decisions (be sure to read the info section on the page to understand my pledge). Ask me if I'm happy right now...YES!  

One radio interview down. Where to next?! Remember I said I want to be famous?


6 comments:

  1. Love this! Can't wait to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hayley, Would you like to be a guest blogger over at The Imperfect Mum? If so, email me kristyvallely@gmail.com - Kristy Vallely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have send you an email Kristy. Thank you!

      Delete